De nieuwe Mindset-lijst, wat kennen 18-jarigen niet of wat hebben ze nooit anders geweten?
Elk jaar publiceert Beloit hun Mindset-lijst over de (Amerikaanse) 18-jarigen die nu beginnen met werken of naar het hoger onderwijs gaan. Inmiddels hebben ze een eigen website, speciaal voor deze lijsten.
Enkele voorbeelden uit de nieuwe lijst voor dit jaar:
- Hybrid automobiles have always been mass produced.
- Google has always been there, in its founding words, “to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible.”
- Email has become the new “formal” communication, while texts and tweets remain enclaves for the casual.
- Four foul-mouthed kids have always been playing in South Park.
- Hong Kong has always been under Chinese rule.
- They have grown up treating Wi-Fi as an entitlement.
- “No means no” has always been morphing, slowly, into “only yes means yes.”
- Cell phones have become so ubiquitous in class that teachers don’t know which students are using them to take notes and which ones are planning a party.
- Their parents have gone from encouraging them to use the Internet to begging them to get off of it.
- If you say “around the turn of the century,” they may well ask you, “which one?”
- They have avidly joined Harry Potter, Ron, and Hermione as they built their reading skills through all seven volumes.
- Kyoto has always symbolized inactivity about global climate change.
- When they were born, cell phone usage was so expensive that families only used their “bag phones,” usually in cars, for emergencies.
- Playhouse Disney was a place where they could play growing up.
- Surgeons have always used “super glue” in the operating room.
- Fifteen nations have always been constructing the International Space Station.
- The Lion King has always been on Broadway.
- Scotland and Wales have always had their own parliaments and assemblies.
- At least Mom and Dad had their new Nintendo 64 to help them get through long nights sitting up with the baby.
- First Responders have always been heroes.
- Sir Paul and Sir Elton have always been knights of the same musical roundtable.
- Poland, Hungary, and the Czech Republic have always been members of NATO.
- TV has always been in such high definition that they could see the pores of actors and the grimaces of quarterbacks.
- Jones and Mr. Smith have always been Men in Black, not their next-door neighbors.
- Their proud parents recorded their first steps on camcorders, mounted on their shoulders like bazookas.
Dit stuk verscheen eerder op Pedro’s blog X, Y of Einstein.